Thursday, June 9, 2016

Last Week of 3rd grade Math...Getting Ready for 4th Grade

It's been a long year full year of learning.  Somehow we've managed to get through it and I couldn't be more proud of my students for mastering the 3rd grade standards with ease.  They did so well in Math this year that we've began tackling the beginning of the year 4th grade Math standards.  They were so excited to do this and was so amazed at how "easy" it was.  Here is what we did...

I decided to cover standards at the end of the year that were similar to the 3rd grade standards we teach.  This way my lower achieving students could get the remediation they needed and my on grade level and higher students could get the enrichment they needed.

Activity #1.... 4.NBT.2  Comparing Numbers

 
Students use shovels that have the < , > , = symbols on them to compare numbers.

Activity #2.... 4.NBT.3  Addition and Subtraction with Regrouping


  


   


Fun hands on center that only requires a dry erase marker and a paper clip.  Students spin the paperclip to find numbers to practice their addition and subtraction with regrouping skills.  They can then follow up with this beach themed worksheet.

Activity #3....4.NBT.4  Rounding to any place
  


This was so much fun.  Majority of my students struggled with rounding all year.  Around February, I decided to do a daily review of rounding even if it was just one number.  It definitely paid off.  They enjoy these rounding puzzle.

Activity #4.... 4.OA.5 Multiplying a 2 digit times a 1 digit
  


Yes, all of my students can multiply a 2 digit times a 1 digit number.  When they are fluent in their facts, its actually easy.  It's how I taught 10's, 11's and 12's...so everything else came easy.

Activity #5... 4.OA.5 Multiply a 2 digit number times a 2 digit number using any algorithm.
  

  


Surprisingly, I taught my higher students to do this standard using the method we learned.  It was so hard for them that way.  When I used this box method, their eyes lit up.  

Two sets of cards... One set has smaller numbers, while the other set has larger numbers.

Activity #6.... 4.OA.6 Division with and without remainders
  



This has been by far the most difficult standard. But they are enjoying the challenge.

See it in action and check it out on TPT by clicking the link here or clicking the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment