Friday, July 17, 2015

How I Organize My Math Centers

I have been meaning to do this post for all week and I'm finally getting around to it.  Busy summer days for sure.  Anyway, I'm here in my living room organizing and decided to write a post on how I organize my math centers.  So here goes...

I just finished 10 years in the classroom and I have switched grades or classroom every single year.  Yes, I know!  It's a lot.  Having moved grades or classrooms every year, I have learned to not use the storage in my classroom as much and invest in my home.  It makes it easier to move every year.  I'm not a big fan of file cabinets so I resulted to using a binder.  


These pages are inside of sheet protectors labeled by math topic (addition, subtraction, time, etc).  I used tabs and stuck them on the front of the sheet protector (click the link to purchase from Amazon) that starts a new topic.  

How I organize my centers:
1.)  I start with these buckets I got from Target.  They were $2.89 each.  You can purchase them from Amazon here.

2.)  I printed out these labels that I made.  You can find the editable version in my TPT store or you can download this version here.

                      
3.) I fill the buckets with everything that is needed to cover that unit.  Center activities, guided math materials, games, etc.

Here is some of the items inside of my Numbers and Base Ten Bucket...

                                     

4.) I also keep a folder in each bucket with any pre-test, post test or unit test that goes with the unit.


I store the buckets in the cabinets in my classroom until we get to the unit.  Once we get to the unit I pull the bucket and keep it in the math area.  That way when I finish with different centers and activities I can put them right back in the bucket instead of sitting it somewhere.

Any centers, games or materials that I had not used at the end of the unit goes into my sub tub or guided math bucket for review or RTI.

Works like a charm!


No comments:

Post a Comment