Monday, June 22, 2015

TPT Seller Challenge: Dare to Dream

Week 2 and I am linking up with Emily from ThirdinHollywood again for the TPT Seller Challenge.

This week's challenge is something that I've thought about a lot....



I make so much for my class and I rarely ever post some of them because it's not "seller worthy" and I've thought about whether or not it was worth it to make them prettier, edit them and update them.

I put so much time into the things I make and create, I began thinking about how this could benefit me.  How I can continue to do this, something I truly enjoy and make it easier for other teachers to practice their craft?  

I'm was that teacher that grew up in the inner city.  I was born and raised in Washington, DC and attended DC Public Schools.  I was born to young parents who weren't quite ready to be parents so there was no college fund or many funds to begin with.  My siblings and I were separated and I was raised with aunts.  I was the first person on both sides of my family to attend college.  I graduated high school with $33,000 in scholarship money.  Four degrees later, I am drowning in debt.

I am also a single mom to my most precious gift, my daughter.  My world! My girl!  However, single motherhood while attending school all these years has put my number on speed dial with the credit card companies.

As much as I pay for rent in my 2 bedroom duplex apartment, I'm pretty sure I can afford a home, however my credit is dead. It might as well not exist.

So what are my dreams for TPT...here goes!


1. PAY OFF DEBT:  Debt was at one point the biggest stress in my life.  I wish I could've started life off debt free but unfortunately that wasn't the hand I was dealt.  I've learned there is no point in stressing over the things we can't change, and focus on what I can do, no matter how little.  TPT can help me pay off debt.  For right now, its keeping me out of adding more debt so that's always a plus.

2. OWN A HOME: As much money as I pay for rent, moving expenses etc. I know I can afford a home.  I just can't come up with the down payment or the credit score to purchase one. I grew up in a house and would love for my daughter to have a home to grow up in.  

3. COLLEGE FOR MY DAUGHTER:, even with scholarships, college has left me in so much debt.  It is my dream to pay for at least one of my daughter's degrees. If college is not her route, I would like to be able to help her get started in life debt free.

4.  BUY A NEW CAR:  I got my first car, bought by my auntie when I was 19 years old in college.  13 years later, I have still yet to be able to afford my own brand new car.  I'm on car #3 and its another used car.  2 years old when I bought it, but 1 month old is better.

5.  Lastly, I want to be able to live frugally as I already do and travel the world.  I want to be the one to take my daughter out of the country and on cruises.  Growing up I was blessed that my aunt was a traveler and I've been to many places as a child.  I want to be able to provide that for my daughter.  She's been quite a few places by car but that Disney Cruise and Bahamas is sure looking some trips we would like to take.

Lastly, I didn't add but when that special someone does come along (please LORD send me a husband), I want to be debt free, stress free and able to have the very small wedding of my dreams.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that TpT has provided a place for us to be seen! I hope to save for my future children too, so they don't have the burden of debt from school like me!

    Sparkling in Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Specific & awesome goals!! We have many of the same goals!! Congratulations on being proactive for your daughter's future!!! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 6 year old girl and I put the Disney Cruise on my list too.....maybe we could go together!!! haha
    Deniece, This Little Piggy Reads

    ReplyDelete